Sunday, July 26, 2015

Learning to Limn Letters


Learning to limn letters and numbers sounds easier than it is. Desire keeps my engine running. Practice pays off. Improvement is a magical elixir. Time is on my side. True statements all. So why is it no one tells you the truth about learning calligraphy? And why is it easier to learn faux calligraphy than the true art? Because it's hard, that's why. One has to learn how to write from the ground up, unless you're willing to skate by with imitating lovely "modern" calligraphy. And there's nothing wrong with that. Not at all. I find modern calligraphy to require as much dedication as the old art does. So, I have chosen to learn the old forms first. Well, the basics at least. I need a foundation in place before I try to create my own style. 

I began with single letters before trying to do an entire alphabet. I'm still working the ABCs. 

2 comments:

  1. are you still practicing?
    I have always loved lettering, but never studied it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Almost every day. And, I'm improving.

    I am a graphic designer who never formally studied calligraphy. I think I've finally found a place to learn the it the proper way--from the basics up. I also joined IAMPETH. There's YouTube, blogs, books, and classes. I hope you will follow through on your love of the art and give it a try. Let me know if you. :)

    ReplyDelete